Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What`s a spindrift? How's it done?

Has No Status

KarterCoin
    0 (0 Banked)

What`s a spindrift? How's it done?

I've seen videos of it being done, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to do it.
    If you want to add me, just add my code and PM me yours, I'll add you.

I don't know. I really don't.

3DS FC
    5112-3899-9186
    KarterCoin
    79 (0 Banked)
    I often do it by mistake but I can never seem to do it when I want to. Not sure the pro way of doing it, but I normally do it by mistake when I drift too close to a wall or item and try to go the other way at the same time without stopping the drift.
    I play Runescape a bit.

Has No Status

3DS FC
    0430-8292-9599
    KarterCoin
    0 (0 Banked)
    I get it all the time, but it all happens pretty much by chance under certain situations. It is when you enter a drift without hopping at all, and is believed to be slightly faster. Often times when drifting hard one way then suddenly drifting the other way on a slanted road does it for me.
    I am not a help service for problems with getting or making custom tracks.
    Requests of any form will be ignored.

Vanille!

KarterCoin
    1,807 (0 Banked)
    Start the hop in one direction. Quickly turn in the other direction and back to the first direction before landing. It gets easier over time (it did for me anyway).

Also, funny avatar.

This site is really only for self-entertainment now.
    Clan
    Dα♥

NNID
    At another site
    3DS FC
    At another site.
    KarterCoin
    421 (0 Banked)
    <strong>QUOTE</strong> Originally Posted by BigOto View Post
    I get it all the time, but it all happens pretty much by chance under certain situations. It is when you enter a drift without hopping at all, and is believed to be slightly faster. Often times when drifting hard one way then suddenly drifting the other way on a slanted road does it for me.
    That's a slipdrift, which is also very useful like the spindrift.

The spindrift is what Wapeach said, but you'll need some pretty fast thumbs to do it. I can't spindrift for my life.

Has No Status

3DS FC
    0430-8292-9599
    KarterCoin
    0 (0 Banked)
    I can imagine it is pretty much impossible with a Wii Wheel. It only saves fractional amounts of time though.
    I am not a help service for problems with getting or making custom tracks.
    Requests of any form will be ignored.

NNID
    SM64DS
    3DS FC
    5155-3146-9827
    KarterCoin
    7 (2 Banked)
    I can tell you how with a bike.

For practice, do a Time Trial at any place with a slight incline. Make sure to get a good amount of speed up to the incline. Pop-A-Wheelie. While on one wheel, turn slightly left. Than, turn right. In the middel of the Left-to-right turn, pressmthe drift button.

I find this most Successful with Medium Characters, Mach Bike, & Nunchuck.
    See my custom tracks & more Here

MKW FC: 4771-0859-8039

3DS FC: 5155-3146-9827

NNID: SM64DS

Has No Status

NNID
    -
    KarterCoin
    22 (0 Banked)
    for a spindrift: if you're gonna drift right, do a hop and as you hop, hit the analog right, then left, then right.

do that all within ~0.2 of a second and you'll spindrift (only TAS can do it consistently, don't be bothered if you can't do it).
    Spoiler

good

KarterCoin
    57 (0 Banked)
    <strong>QUOTE</strong> Originally Posted by Loftyz View Post
    for a spindrift: if you're gonna drift right, do a hop and as you hop, hit the analog right, then left, then right.

do that all within ~0.2 of a second and you'll spindrift (only TAS can do it consistently, don't be bothered if you can't do it).
    And as kD said, you need a super fast left thumb to do it.
    Last edited by videogamer; 09-23-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Has No Status

KarterCoin
    0 (0 Banked)
    A spindrift has three purposes:

1. Spindrifting allows you to take a tighter turn than normal.
    2. If you hop and do a spindrift-like motion while airborn, you will get slightly more airtime and you will turn/align yourself in the air in the direction that you spindrifted.
    3. Barely avoiding corners.

Let's say you want to take a right turn. You hop/drift and steer right. Now, you want to take a right turn, but you want to take the corner really wide. You would hop and steer right, but then after turning right, you would immediately press (and hold) left. Now, let's say you want to spindrift to the right. You would hop and steer right, then immediately steer left, then immediately steer right. This right-left-right or left-right-left motion (if you're spindrifting to the left) has to be done very quickly.

Go to 0:15. He spindrifts around the fountain to take a tighter turn. He's not at a good angle to take a tight turn normally, so he spindrifts to get a very tight turn. This is an example of purpose #1 that I listed.

Go to 0:40. He hops, then make a quick left-right sort of steering motion. You can see that his Funky, while in the air, looks the same as the Delfino Square one that I just linked, because they're the same motion. In this case, he "spindrifts" after hopping to get more air and turn to the left a little, allowing him to cut off way more of the gap with the gap jump shortcut. This is an example of use #2 that I listed.

Go to 0:22. You can see that on the last corner, it looks like he's going to nick the corner. One option is to cancel your wheelie and steer left to avoid hitting it, which is slow, or you could turn left a little while in your wheelie, which is also slow. Instead, he keeps going straight and spindrifts around the last corner. Since the initial movement of a spindrift is to the outside, he can time his spindrift so his Funky kind of sways towards the outside when he's at the corner so he doesn't hit it. (Meaning, if you're spindrifting to the right, which he did, you can see that his Funky moved slightly to the left at first). This is an example of use #3.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast