Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the legal age allowing consumption of alcohol be raised?

Has No Status

KarterCoin
    0 (0 Banked)

Should the legal age allowing consumption of alcohol be raised?

Legal drinking age refers to the youngest age at which a person is legally permitted to buy alcoholic beverages. It is often different from the age at which one is permitted to drink alcohol. There are often exceptions and complications within the general law. In some countries, the drinking age is different for public drinking (as in bars and pubs) and private drinking (as in the home). The legal drinking age can be different for different types of alcoholic beverages.

The legal drinking age varies around the world. In Europe, people in some countries are allowed to drink alcoholic beverages from childhood within their home (in Albania, for example, there is no minimum age). In India, the legal age may be as high as 25 years. Some Islamic nations prohibit Muslims, or both Muslims and non-Muslims, from drinking alcohol at any age.

I think raising the drinking age to 21 will reduce consumption amongst young people because it will be harder to buy alcohol. Also, young people are the most likely group to misuse alcohol; e.g. drinking to excess, which causes accidents, death and health problems. If people start drinking later in life, they may be more likely to drink in moderation and not get addicted at an early age.

However, it will still be possible for young people to drink at home. People will find ways to avoid the legislation e.g. asking older people to buy for them. Nevertheless, it will be more difficult. For example, a 16 year old may not be able to get away with drinking in a pub anymore.

This policy doesn’t address the underlying problem of why people want to drink to excess. For that education may be a better solution; education could help to explain the dangers of excess drinking and therefore encourage young people to drink moderation.. However, previous education policies have not seemed to be very effective. Young people don’t want to hear lectures from the government about the dangers of alcohol.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Hysteria; 04-16-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Has No Status

KarterCoin
    0 (0 Banked)
    I always see it as a matter of people'll get it regardless - let the law of it be.

Has No Status

KarterCoin
    0 (0 Banked)
    <strong>QUOTE</strong> Originally Posted by Sin Scythe View Post
    I always see it as a matter of people'll get it regardless - let the law of it be.
    I totally agree. It's similar to the law they're trying to pass to ban guns- bad people will still get them. Also similar to raising taxes on cigarettes.

I DO think they should raise the age people are aloud to get their driver's license at

lol
    Clan
    [iS]

KarterCoin
    11 (0 Banked)
    The government of any country should not change the alcohol consumption age as if they do rise it, it'll just have more crime occuring since people will always find a way around the legal age. Ireland has a very bad alcohol problem, you can get alcohol nearly anywhere here. It is better drinking alcohol at a younger age under the supervision of parents so you get used to drinking alcohol and don't overdrink. This is what central Europe do, train their children to not overdrink. They might have a glass of wine with dinner, etc.

Is always disappearing for months at a time
    VIP: Very Important President Quantum's Avatar

KarterCoin
    15 (0 Banked)
    Here the legal age is already 21. Federal law mandates state law to have it be so or else lose federal funding for roads. As a matter of fact people have been arguing to actually lower the age. As much as I'd like to agree with increasing/keeping the age at 21, basically you've summed up why it'd wouldn't help. The kids who abuse alchohol are going to just get their fix from their parent's stash anyway if they're that desperate for it. There really is not much one can do about it.
    ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Has No Status

KarterCoin
    0 (0 Banked)
    In Denmark I actually think it is 16, though depends on what you buy? I dunno it might have raised to 18 though I am 24 so I don't care much. and here in Denmark people start Drinking at the age of 13 which is pretty normal.

Going Blank Again

KarterCoin
    20 (0 Banked)
    I think the legal drinking age should stay the way it is (for the US anyways). It doesn't completely stop youngsters from consuming alcohol, but it does help. I personally don't support any kind of alcoholic consumption. It's just bad for you, simple as that. It's actually the most dangerous "drug".

More info on alcohol being the most dangerous drug: The Most Dangerous Drugs? Alcohol, Heroin and Crack ? in That Order TIME Healthland

Has No Status

KarterCoin
    0 (0 Banked)
    I don't think people should drink at all! A very important person in my life almost died of drinking. IDC if people say in moderation, better if you didn't. If you were to drink (please don't) I'd say 25+. Your brain isn'y dully grown until the age of 25 so it can take the intoxication better.

Has No Status

KarterCoin
    0 (0 Banked)
    <strong>QUOTE</strong> Originally Posted by Bernkastel View Post
    The government of any country should not change the alcohol consumption age as if they do rise it, it'll just have more crime occuring since people will always find a way around the legal age. Ireland has a very bad alcohol problem, you can get alcohol nearly anywhere here. It is better drinking alcohol at a younger age under the supervision of parents so you get used to drinking alcohol and don't overdrink. This is what central Europe do, train their children to not overdrink. They might have a glass of wine with dinner, etc.
    Agree with the bolded part. One of my teachers grew up in Germany and she said that people are allowed to legally drink as early as 12 years old or something like that. She said the difference there though is that children are taught how to drink responsibly and that parents play a big part in that teaching.
    ηostalgia|1247-1779-9064|9000-9999VR|My Friend Roster

Thanks to Veece for the awesome sig

Has No Status

KarterCoin
    0 (0 Banked)
    It's 19 in Canada..I don't think raising the age limit would make a difference. I'm not interested in drinking or getting drunk myself..I'm kind of a health nut (cookies are an exception ). I agree with shadow, raise the driving age.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast