NNID
    DreamyZack
    3DS FC
    3239-3015-8059
    KarterCoin
    11,515 (0 Banked)

Mario Kart 7

Official Mario Kart 7 logo

Mario Kart 7 is the 7th Mario Kart game and the 3rd installment on a Handheld system, this game being released on the Nintendo 3DS. This game brought a lot to the table when it comes to Mario Kart games. And, as I write this review, keep in mind that this is no Mario Kart Wii, this is on a Handheld system, with less power, and I shall judge it fairly. The game was released in North America on December 4th, 2011, and is a must get for all 3DS and Handheld gamers.

In this review, I will look at Features, Tracks, Items, Soundtrack, Characters, Graphics, and Replay Value.

FEATURES: 8.5/10
    Mario Kart 7 gets a great score with features. It was insane the amount of features brought to the game. This is the reason I bugged my mom everyday about wanting this game. One of the most iconic new features of the game is Gliding. When running across a blue pad (similar to the trick pads on sides of walls in Mario Kart Wii, however now flat) a Hang Glider will come out the rear end of the Kart and allows the player to maneuver through the sky until the player glides back towards the ground. Another feature was Underwater Racing. As much badass as this is, Nintendo made the mistake of only putting Underwater racing sections in only 11 of the total 32 tracks, which is about 1/3. What is even more disarming is the fact only 8 of the 16 Nitro tracks had Underwater sections. Nintendo could've at least put 12 new tracks, and maybe added some more Retro tracks with underwater sections. But, this isn't a hard hit. Another awesome feature is customizing you kart, by choosing a Kart Frame, Wheels, and a Hang Glider. This opened up numerous possibilities for a kart. And I must say mixing and matching parts is way more fun than selecting from 12 Vehicles in Mario Kart Wii. I personally just like to use the Standard Kart, Standard Wheels, and Super Glider, however, I find it suited for me, but some kart combos are better on different tracks, and there is a different signature kart combo for every player. What's yours?

Mario gliding on the Flower Cup Track, Rock Rock Mountain.

Mario Racing Underwater at the Mushroom Cup Track, Cheep Cheep Lagoon.

But, what Nintendo did to really mess up...

No Single Player VS. Mode.

What

THE

FIRE FLOWER.

So, us offline players have to do Grand Prix mode to race, so no custom rules when racing, like in Mario Kart Wii. This was just a stupid move not to put it in, it's a must for Mario Kart games these days. This hurt Mario Kart 7 greatly.

TRACKS: 8.5/10
    As I ranted earlier, Nintendo could've made better use of the Underwater Racing in tracks. But, besides that, Gliding and Underwater racing made for some pretty creative tracks. From the simple Toad Circuit, which is a very good track for new player (and I about peed my pants when I saw my favourite Mario Character, Toad, FINALLY get a circuit of it's own), to the Glider's paradise Rock Rock Mountain, Swim with the fishies at Wario's Shipyard, which had numerous underwater racing sections, which made this one of my favourite courses. Wuhu Loop and Maka Wuhu make cameo appearances from Wii Sports Resort, and those along with Rainbow Road are tracks that are just a bit different from the rest. Instead of 3 laps, these tracks have 3 sections, making one huge lap. I liked this addition, and the Wuhu tracks are fun to race on and Rainbow Road just got harder.

Mario racing at the Mushroom Cup Track, Toad Circuit.

The path along the mountainside the the Star Cup track, Maka Wuhu.

This is the 3rd Mario Kart game to feature Retro Tracks (4th if you count Mario Kart Super Circuit's bonus cups of all of the Super Mario Kart Tracks), and Nintendo could have done a better job there. Yes, I do find problems. The distribution of how many tracks each game gets is unfair. For 1, Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA) gets... only 1 track. While Mario Kart DS (DS) and Mario Kart 64 (N64) get 4 and 3 respectively, which just runs those games out of tracks way too quickly, for future Mario Kart Games. And only 3, yes, only 3 retro tracks have underwater capabilities. Are. You. Kidding. Me. Nintendo. But hey, some fan favourites were brought back, like Wii Mushroom Gorge, Wii Coconut Mall, DS Waluigi Pinball, and what shocked the Mario Universe was seeing a retro rainbow road, SNES Rainbow Road. They could have done a whole better with tracks, but the creativity in the Nitro Tracks saved them from disaster.

ITEMS: 10/10
    I didn't find any problems with the items, of course the classic shells, bananas, and Mushrooms came back, and the crap-chute of all items, the Spiny Shell, came back... looking a little different.

Image of the new Spiny Shell and it's description.

It doesn't have wings. As the above picture says, the Spiny Shell now knocks over karts that stand in it's path to explode on the leader of the race. Which, I like, it now punishes more karters and still blows the heaviest impact on first place. Besides it's new appearance and how it knocks over other karts, it does every thing as it did in Mario Kart Wii.

Mario Kart 7 brought 3 new items to the table. The Fire Flower, the classic Mario power-up in platformers and the symbol of the Flower Cup, makes it's first appearance as an item in the Mario Kart Series. It allows you to shoot ~10 Fireballs for ~10 seconds, which is pretty cool, and great for sniping out that first place racer on the final turn! The Super Leaf gives your Kart a tail, which can open up a can of Whoop-ass on karts that are too close for comfort. Once activiated it lasts for ~10 seconds, and you can hit the item button to swing the tail. Also, when racing underwater, if you have the tail, instead of a propeller showing up, the tails spins and acts as the propeller. Pretty neat.

Mario shooting Fireballs in the Star Cup Track, Piranha Plant Slide.

Mario ready to whoop-ass with the Tannoki Tail at the Flower Cup track, Mario Circuit.

The 3rd Item is the Lucky 7. As this is Mario Kart 7, the Lucky 7 brings 7 items, the Red Shell, Green Shell, Banana, Bob-omb, Blooper, Super Star, and a Mushroom, around your kart. To be honest this item isn't that great, for one if the bob-omg gets hit it explodes on you and you lose the other items, but hey, nice way to commemorate the Lucky 7th Mario Kart Game.

Peach with the Lucky 7 at the Mushroom Cup track, Toad Circuit.

SOUNDTRACK: 9.5/10
    The soundtrack was fine. For one it brought back Mario Kart Wii's catchy Race Menu Music, remixed this time, and it was definitely better, more deep sounding, I loved it. As in Wii after you click each button to the next screen, an extra beat is added to the music.

Spoiler

The Credits Music was a very nice piece of art. The jazz of the credit music was a perfect way to end the game, and man, Nintendo had some awesome saxophonist rocking out that song!

Spoiler

And the epic SNES Rainbow Road remix? Awesome, very nice music, deep, and energetic.

Spoiler

CHARACTERS: 7/10
    ***Note, unlockable characters in the spoiler. You have been warned***
    Spoiler

GRAPHICS: 10/10
    For a Handheld, and compared to Mario Kart DS's excuse for graphics, the graphics for this game are very nice, nothing to expect on a home console, but for a 3DS? Perfect. And yes, Mario Kart in 3D is pretty epic, but racing in old fashioned 2D is still suitable, I myself race 2D, but the 3D graphics when using them are amazing, gives you a sense of depth, almost like you can reach in and touch the racetrack! But as in Mario Kart Wii, flames come out of the tail pipes and unlike Mario Kart DS, the items and obstacles are in 3D.

A close up of Toad's Kart at the Mushroom Cup track, Daisy Hills.

REPLAY VALUE: 9/10
    Without VS. Mode, and other cons with this game, I don't play Mario Kart 7 as much as I have in the past, only ever so often. But, that's personally because I don't have internet on my 3DS, but if I could play online I would play more, for sure. On the road this can be something to keep you occupied, or in bed at night when it's late grab your 3DS and play this game. Perfect for such times, I must say.

This game is for sure the #1 Handheld Racing game there is, I would say, and a huge improvement, besides character choice and no vs. mode, from Mario Kart DS., the latest handheld Mario Kart before Mario Kart 7. Overall, I give this game an 8.5/10, for a handheld Mario Kart, this game is a must get for anyone who has a 3DS.

That's my review, tell me the crap job I did making this past midnight with my fire alarm chirping while crushing over Noah Urrea. Speaking of which, why not check out my awkward as hell blog about Noah Urrea and my review on Super Mario 3D World . Also with Christmas this week my next review will most likely be on Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games.

As always, be kind to one another, we are ALL created EQUAL, and Happy Holidays to you all.

~Mario Kart 7~
    FEATURES: 8.5/10
    TRACKS: 8.5/10
    ITEMS: 10/10
    SOUNDTRACK: 9.5/10
    CHARACTERS: 7/10
    GRAPHICS: 10/10
    REPLAY VALUE: 9/10
    OVERALL: 8.5/10

Last edited by Dreamy Luigi; 12-31-2013 at 12:59 PM.

The Weird One
    Clan
    ςυρ★

KarterCoin
    162 (0 Banked)
    Good job Zack. I just skimmed through it for a little while, I will read it completely tomorrow. Also, i kind of think most (if not some) of these tracks were shown in CTGP-R 1.02, making their "popularity" increase somewhat. It looks like a great review, what with images and personal opinions and your overall percentage on each "term" that makes this game cool and good. I personally like this review, though i got to read more in-depth tomorrow. But nice review!
    ~Don't mind the darkness around us. I am here, and I will protect you~

For people asking, my personality is like his.
    Competitive MKW player - MK8 is too luck based to play competitive, sorry Koops's Avatar
    Clan
    【♥】

NNID
    Koops07
    3DS FC
    1719-3480-8734
    KarterCoin
    29 (595 Banked)
    Nice review, Zack. :glasses: I also very much agree with your opinion on no VS. Mode, Nintendo did screw up with that one, the only thing I'd have to disagree with is the roster.. I'd give it a 4/10 (Not including my TOP 5 or 6 from MKWii!), But nevertheless nice job.
    Also, the only thing I didn't like about the Spiny Shell was it blowing you up into a random direction, and how you can just jump off the road to dodge a it, which is much faster then getting blown up if the respawn is fair enough.

WiiU Roster | Dι◆Koops | Wii Roster

Dreamy Smash :3
    Clan
    C8★

NNID
    DreamyZack
    3DS FC
    3239-3015-8059
    KarterCoin
    11,515 (0 Banked)
    <strong>QUOTE</strong> Originally Posted by The Koop Troop View Post
    Nice review, Zack. :glasses: I also very much agree with your opinion on no VS. Mode, Nintendo did screw up with that one, the only thing I'd have to disagree with is the roster.. I'd give it a 4/10 (Not including my TOP 5 or 6 from MKWii!), But nevertheless nice job.
    Also, the only thing I didn't like about the Spiny Shell was it blowing you up into a random direction, and how you can just jump off the road to dodge a it, which is much faster then getting blown up if the respawn is fair enough.
    I gave Nintendo some elbow room with characters, the addition of Metal Mario, Rosalina, and Lakitu to a handheld MK was pretty amazing, just i would swap HQ and Wiigler for Waluigi and Toadette. I'm changing it to a 7/10 now actually.

Competitive MKW player - MK8 is too luck based to play competitive, sorry Koops's Avatar
    Clan
    【♥】

NNID
    Koops07
    3DS FC
    1719-3480-8734
    KarterCoin
    29 (595 Banked)
    <strong>QUOTE</strong> Originally Posted by NitroCart12 View Post
    I gave Nintendo some elbow room with characters, the addition of Metal Mario, Rosalina, and Lakitu to a handheld MK was pretty amazing, just i would swap HQ and Wiigler for Waluigi and Toadette. I'm changing it to a 7/10 now actually.
    Yeah, Lakitu was pretty nice! I'm still half and half with Metal Mario, Rosalina was nice to keep from MKWii as well. I was just upset with no King Boo, Toadette, Baby Daisy, Dry Bowser, and Diddy Kong.

Dreamy Smash :3
    Clan
    C8★

NNID
    DreamyZack
    3DS FC
    3239-3015-8059
    KarterCoin
    11,515 (0 Banked)
    <strong>QUOTE</strong> Originally Posted by The Koop Troop View Post
    Yeah, Lakitu was pretty nice! I'm still half and half with Metal Mario, Rosalina was nice to keep from MKWii as well. I was just upset with no King Boo, Toadette, Baby Daisy, Dry Bowser, and Diddy Kong.
    Yeah, the babies, King Boo, and Dry Bowser though, are more console worthy, but 20 characters with Diddy and Bowser Jr. and even Dry Bones would have been nice :s

Your Friendly Mana-Moderator
    Away for a week, back next sunday. :) Flammie's Avatar

NNID
    FlammieLL
    KarterCoin
    765 (244,329 Banked)
    Now this is an improvement of your previous Reviews!!

8/10

Clan
    【♥】

NNID
    Koops07
    3DS FC
    1719-3480-8734
    KarterCoin
    29 (595 Banked)
    <strong>QUOTE</strong> Originally Posted by NitroCart12 View Post
    Yeah, the babies, King Boo, and Dry Bowser though, are more console worthy, but 20 characters with Diddy and Bowser Jr. and even Dry Bones would have been nice :s
    I'd have to agree with this!
    But no Toadette was a shocking upset though. :/
    And yeah, the 3 you mentioned are handheld worthy, especially since Dry Bones was previously on Mario Kart DS.

Slowly leaving this site, love Tomodachi Life

NNID
    Anthony95
    3DS FC
    4210-4500-2464
    KarterCoin
    5,804 (0 Banked)
    Nice review

Has No Status

KarterCoin
    25,787 (0 Banked)
    It was a good review, however wiggler takes offence.

Meta Knight

Spoiler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast